Popular Posts

Sunday, January 7, 2018

joel.'s top 13 horror films of 2017.... #8


Every year, you never know what the horror genre is going to unleash upon the world. You have an unsuspecting audience, just waiting to have their deepest and darkest fears manipulated.... all in the comfort of an air conditioned theater or their home. Not every year has been full of winners, some have proven to be better than others, but 2017 has yielded some very interesting genre fare that is full of a little bit of everything under the sun. My fellow creeps, I've put together what I feel (in my humble opinion) to be the best of the best for this year. There were a few that were nudged out by only inches and that's not a bad thing. It just proves that there are more stories to tell and makes me dream about all the amazing scares yet to come. So, without further adieu, I give you my top 13 horror films of 2017! (based on release dates and not the years they were filmed.... although some may be in the last quarter of 2016.)

8) 'The Void'


This film was primarily seen by me, because of the marketing campaign and word of mouth. The grass roots approach really seemed to pay off for this one. The posters were vague, but the imagery was strong. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into, when I saw this film. It's one of the most original pieces of horror, I've seen in several years. The concept is terrifying and the execution of the story line reaches near Cronenberg levels. This is what independent horror should look and feel like. It's dark, gritty, dirty and legitimately deserving of all the praise it's received. I'm not a fan of body horror or all out gore, but this uses those things to induce terror into the viewer in the best way possible. I found myself on the edge of my seat and unclear what in the hell would happen next. It's almost a cousin to 'Baskin', that came out last year, but far superior in my humble opinion. This is not your father's horror film.... or maybe it is?



Suggested snack to eat while watching: anything that requires a knife

No comments:

Post a Comment