Popular Posts

Thursday, January 4, 2018

joel.'s top 13 horror films of 2017.... #11


Every year, you never know what the horror genre is going to unleash upon the world. You have an unsuspecting audience, just waiting to have their deepest and darkest fears manipulated.... all in the comfort of an air conditioned theater or their home. Not every year has been full of winners, some have proven to be better than others, but 2017 has yielded some very interesting genre fare that is full of a little bit of everything under the sun. My fellow creeps, I've put together what I feel (in my humble opinion) to be the best of the best for this year. There were a few that were nudged out by only inches and that's not a bad thing. It just proves that there are more stories to tell and makes me dream about all the amazing scares yet to come. So, without further adieu, I give you my top 13 horror films of 2017! (based on release dates and not the years they were filmed.... although some may be in the last quarter of 2016.)

11) 'The Axe Murders of Villisca'


This is the dark horse of my list. Think of it as the 'Little Film That Could'. Written and directed by Tony E. Valenzuela, a man who's resume is full of television credits, he was a bit of an unproven talent in the film world. I came across this one through a connection with Sean Whalen on Facebook. He was promoting the film and the plot intrigued me. My expectations were fairly low, but by the end of it and having time to process it, I realized how genius it was. I've already written a full review on it, as it spoke to me and could potentially speak to a lot of other horror film fans as well. This is one of the new generation of more thoughtful horror movies, a kin to the 'Deathwave' movement and one that has me hopeful for whatever Mr. Valenzuela has to offer in the future.



Suggested snack to eat while watching: a bottle of wine and some peanut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment