Popular Posts

Sunday, April 16, 2017

my thoughts on.... 'Bunny the Killer Thing'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

*Possible language ahead. You have been warned.* Let's just get this out of the way, before we go any further, I can legitimately say that I'm not sure if I liked this film or not. Maybe by the end of this review, I'll have a more solid answer for you. But for now, I'm so completely torn on this one. First of all, I never thought I'd be watching a Finnish horror film about a giant killer man/rabbit with a huge penis. Second of all, I never expected to write those words into a sentence, prior to today. 'Bunny the Killer Thing' is NOT an Easter film. It's a little hard to describe, actually. If the previous sentences aren't a dead give away. Not that I haven't seen some of the elements before. I just haven't seen them all strung together like this. One part, comedy and another part horror, in the end.... it's just weird. I like weird. I really do. I'm just not a fan of rape, by giant man/rabbits or humans either. I get what the writers and director were going for. A hybrid of the early films of Peter Jackson, Brian Yuzna and some Troma thrown in for good measure. The problem is, that I'm just not sure it worked. Kind of like a bigger budget 'Swamp Ape', but on the snowy mountainside. Let's take a moment to talk about the story and then we'll come back to me trying to decide what to make of this thing.


The story begins with a writer and his 'muse', showing up at a cabin in the snow. All seems perfect, for about 30 seconds. Suddenly, they're held at gunpoint and stunned by tasers. Before long, one of them is dead and the other is being injected by some unknown substance. He then breaks free of his bonds and begins knocking out or killing his captors, in a dash for freedom. The audience soon realizes that he's becoming more than a man.... a man/rabbit, with a huge penis. Cut to the credits. When we rejoin our film, already in progress, there is a group of young people on their way up to the same part of the countryside where the movie began. They're soon passing 3 strangers who are then invited to join them at their retreat. Drinking commences, as well as some sex and then the real “fun” begins. Bunny the Killer Thing is soon hunting them down, one by one, raping and killing anyone he can find. All the while, swinging his dick around in a maneuver I like to call, 'The Heli-cock-ter'. Why he does this? No one knows. Did I mention that right before he attacks, he yells: “PUSSY!” and proceeds to sexually assault his prey to death. Over the course of the remaining run time of the film, people are violated and murdered. None of them very likable to begin with. In the end, our remaining three survivors, are kidnapped and we find out that the experiments are still continuing. This time, on them! They manage a VERY unique and daring escape as they take out all of the hostage takers. Then, in the big finale, we are forced to witness a giant man/rabbit, kinky fetish folk, orgy. They all get slaughtered by our 3 hero type people and off they go into the winter sunset. But wait! There's one more scene, involving a man/rabbit, his giant penis and a woman/rabbit and her giant “PUSSY!”. Man, I feel dirty just writing all of that out.

Let's get one thing clear, I love weird and deviant horror films. Some of my favorites are ones that the rest of the world just doesn't get. So, I'm not saying all of this, because I'm some kind of puritan. I love it when things get down and dirty, I'm just not a guy that thinks rape is funny. On ANY level. I think that's what ultimately turned me off to this film. Perhaps, if the man/rabbit was still well hung, but didn't feel the need to penetrate anything that moved? I honestly think I would have thought more of this film, if that had been the case. Not too mention, this film is not entirely in English. That's not a bad thing, but Amazon Prime didn't feel the need to offer subtitles, so maybe I missed some important plot points that could have improved my viewing experience? I doubt it, but maybe I'm wrong. There were so many things to really enjoy about this film. It was beautifully shot and the direction was incredibly solid. All of the actors were well cast, albeit not very likable. The story was somewhat fun and the man/rabbit was actually kind of entertaining. It's just a damn shame that the writer/director, Joonas Makkonen, felt the need to use sex crimes as a vehicle for humor. There were a lot of clever and quite funny moments in the film. The special effects were pretty good and it was an overall, well done film.


Once the credits rolled, I needed to take a shower. Not literally, but almost. 'Bunny the Killer Thing' was something to behold and I'm sure something that would get the Lloyd Kaufman seal of approval. For me, it ended up being not what I expected and not something I would actively want to see again. 2 out of 5 stars, for what could have been 4 out of 5. Yes, the rape was that big of a detractor to the overall product. There was so much going on in this movie, that sets it apart for so much schlock out there. Maybe if it had something to say? Some kind of hidden message or subtext? I don't know. I wanted to like it, I really did. But there are some things that can't be unseen. If you can look past the parts that made me cringe, then you might find something of value here. 'Bunny the Killer Thing' is its own kind of monster and one that, seems, may be back for a sequel. I only hope that it doesn't reproduce like actual rabbits do.



If you want something like this, but better, check out: 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead', 'Braindead' aka 'Dead Alive' or 'Re-Animator'

No comments:

Post a Comment