Popular Posts

Sunday, April 9, 2017

My review of 'The Love Witch' By William S. Mayfield



You see a trailer or a poster for a movie and they intended to invoke a response. Good, I want to see this film someone has worked hard to get out to the world, or no, I'd rather sit on a cheese grater. Well the if I had seen a poster for The Love Witch I would have raised an eye brow, Samantha Robinson can stop a cruise missile in its tracks, but I saw the trailer and not only did she catch my eye but the cinematography was so fresh. To make a movie that looks exactly like a 60's movie is very impressive in this day and age. 



Our story starts with Elaine, played by the lovely Samantha Robinson, moving to a new town after the death of her lover Jerry. She moves into a nice apartment and meets Trish, and they start a friendship. Elaine, who is obsessed with love, or her version of it, meets Wayne and quickly forms a relationship with him, and with the help of witchcraft its happens pretty fast. Not to long after meeting Wayne Elaine go's to visit her coven at a local burlesque show. There we learn that the women of this coven are all for love magic, but its Elaine who takes it to whole new heights. Wayne fell for Elaine's charms and fell hard. She is quickly on to her next man and so on. 



Directed by Anna Biller, The Love Witch is a fantastic period piece that shows how movies looked back in the day and also how they were made. I have seen a lot of films from the 60's and with this one, with the exception of a few back ground flubs, i.e. new cars and such, I couldn't tell the difference. One of the only real flaws I could see was its run time, right at two hours, had me looking at my watch a few times, but not as much as I would if I was bored. Biller captured a great cast to make this film and some of them, like Gian Keys who played the detective that investigates one of Elaine's lovers disappearance, looked like they walked out of the 1960's. The colors and the hair and make up helped set this apart from other movies of today. I have not seen any of her other work but I will be in the future. 


I give The Love Witch a lovely 7 out of 10 and can be found at Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment