Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Uber Spencer's Interview with The Master of Creeps (Bill Oberst Jr)




Ok so if any fans of the Creepercast know, I am a dedicated fan and movie reviewer for the podcast. Been a fan since mid 2013 I believe (Jeff correct me on that if I'm wrong) Anyway I came across an indie horror actor by the name of Bill Oberst Jr and in my head I was thinking, who the hell is Bill Oberst Jr. Then I listened to Jason and Jeff's interview with The Master of Creeps on the podcast and I looked him up and bought a couple of his films and became a fan. Then the joys of Facebook allowed me to get in contact with Bill and we talked and I became more of a fan. We talked about doing a phone interview but unfortunately I lost contact with Bill when I deleted Facebook for reasons of rather not say. A few months ago I made a new twitter account and Bill and I talked more. And we set up a phone interview for Saturday February 4th, and I was nervous as all heck. 1:30 that Saturday afternoon came very very quickly and once I heard Bill pick up his phone my heart skipped. He asked me where I lived, as any Creepercast fan knows, I live in Ohio. I got right down to the questions and I only had 1 question in my head at the time and every question after was improvised based on what we talked about.





My first question to Bill was how he got involved with the band Disturbed's music video Asylum, off the album of the same name. He told me that the band's producer got in contact with him needing creepy looking guys for the doctors (Bill fits the part of creepy to a T and that's why I love Bill).





Now I asked a ton of questions and I might not get through all of them but the ones I feel need to mention I'm mentioning. My next mention to Bill was how he got involved with Criminal Minds (which he played the unsub in S9Ep20 I believe) Bill mentioned that Matthew Gray Gubler, the director of the episode and series regular got in contact with him after a friend of Gubler and Bill worked together. My nephew mentioned to me that Bill scared him when my nephew, Mom and I watched the episode on premiere night. My Mom told me to mention to Bill that she thought he did an amazing job.


Adrienne Barbeau and Bill Oberst Jr. on CBS-TV's CRIMINAL MINDS from Bill Oberst Jr. on Vimeo.


My next question for Bill, and again I apologize I should have written these questions down as I went but I wasn't expecting to do this but I'm glad I am was how did his costar Chanel Ryan react to him on the set of Circus of the Dead (which I'm waiting slowly but surely for a DVD and Blu-ray release). He said that there's a scene in the film when he crashes through achieve window and grab Chanel which really scared  her. He told me that everytime Chanel screamed he just screamed louder in her face. He improvised a scene in which he has Chanel pinned to a wall and Bill's only thought was he was going to lick her face. Bill has a line that mentioned that is "tastes like slut" which was improvised and a very good improvised line.





After a few minutes of talking I mentioned Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies and Bill mentioned he memorized everything from Lincoln to his speech ext. Bill mentioned he got a call from a person from Asylum saying to be in Georgia the day before filming and to read the script on the plane down. Now I'm not a big Asylum film fan but Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies was ok in my opinion and I'm not saying that to kiss Bills butt or anything.





Now a couple weeks ago I came across one of Bill's films on Netflix called the Three Dogateers. Bill laughed and said that that was a blast to shoot, I said to him it was like Air Buddies but the CGI dogs were horrible. He said it was an honor to work with Dean Cain (an outspoken born again Christian and star of Lois and Clark Adventures) and that the dogs were cute. He has had people say that the film they didn't like but their kids loved. Bill's accent according to him was an interpretation of many different accents.





A couple questions that I asked I didn't even intend on asking but I mentioned Bill winning the Lon Chaney award for excellence in indie horror back in 2015 I believe and Bill said it was an honor to receive the award from Chaneys family.





My next question for Bill came in the form of his guest starring role on the FOX horror series Scream Queens. My only real question on that subject was his reaction to working with actual scream Queens legend, Jamie Lee Curtis. Now I probably would have been like a 6 year old girl meeting Justin Bieber for the first time if I met Jamie Lee Curtis but Bill being professional told Ms. Curtis that it was an honor to work with her. Now after hearing all that I asked a question that I wasn't expecting an answer too and that's something I loved about Bill. He had a solid answer for every question I asked.





I asked him about excluding Dean Cain, Jamie Lee Curtis and the criminal minds cast, has he worked with any other A list actors and his answer surprised me in the form of he has worked with Hugh Jackman on a car commercial for China and Jim Carrey.


Hugh-Jackman_ Bill-Oberst Jr. from Bill Oberst Jr. on Vimeo.


Now Hugh Jackman is my favorite actor apart from Bill and Ryan Reynolds, Bill said that both Jackman and Carrey were the nicest people you could meet.





Now this is where I might get some backlash and im going to end with this. I covered a majority of the questions I asked Bill but this last one is one about Bill's Christianity. Now if you see Bill you might not see a man of God but from my own personal information, he is and he credits God everyday. My question was is he or has he starred in any Christian based films like pureflix and he said he has. Apostle Peter and the Last Supper is the film and Bill portrayed Satan who tempted Peter in jail.


Robert Loggia and Bill Oberst Jr. in "Apostle Peter And The Last Supper' from Bill Oberst Jr. on Vimeo.


Now my time with Bill for that 1 hour was amazing and I loved every minute of it. So thank you to Jeff for allowing me to be apart of the Creepercast and Bill for talking with me. I hope to hear from Bill sometime later and hope to have interviews with others in the future!


For more Bill visit him on IMDB and or
or just stick with us at the Creepercast!

No comments:

Post a Comment