Popular Posts

Friday, February 3, 2017

my thoughts on.... 'Children of Sorrow'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

Found footage comes in my different shapes and sizes. Ever since 'The Blair Witch Project' was released in 1999, the genre has proven to be a marketable format for film makers and producers to keep costs low and profits high. It's also shown itself to be the preferred method for young directors, to make a movie no matter what kind of resources they have available. The problem is, that it's also flooded the market with a lot of bargain basement quality product. So much so, that the found footage genre has started to leave a poor taste in audiences collective mouths and made it a bit of pariah, especially in modern horror films. However, there are a lot of die hard fans out there that are still waiting for the next 'Blair Witch Project'. Among all of the cookie cutter product that's been produced, you still can find a diamond in the rough. When I started watching 'Children of Sorrow', I had no idea what I was in for. All I knew was that our patron saint, Bill Oberst Jr, was in it and was the lead. That was enough to make me intrigued. As soon as the film began, I realized that it was not your standard narrative, but a found footage style descent into darkness. For me, that's not a bad thing. I'm still a fan of the cinéma vérité style and was intrigued to see what director, Jourdan McClure, might bring to the table. What I got, was something that's lingered with me, ever since the credits rolled, after the third act was complete. That's not a simple feat, especially considering how many horror films I see in a year. I want to be shown something new or to feel that overwhelming sense of dread, that used to come more often, when I was younger. 'Children of Sorrow' brought all of those feelings back and has left me still puzzling over what I had seen.


The film tells the story of Simon Leach (Bill Oberst Jr), a man whose motives are clearly not pure from the moment the audience is introduced to him. He's being filmed by his partner in crime, Mary, as they begin to set the stage for some kind of semi-religious cult type retreat. As we get indoctrinated into his world, we begin to meet the men and women he would prey upon. One by one, their backstories are provided through exposition and character interaction. Slowly, things begin to take shape. At first, you feel that maybe the film title is a little misleading. That's something that doesn't last for long. Simon begins to reveal, what we think, are his true intentions, but not before the entire film takes a sharp left turn and the whole thing is turned on it's side. What happens over the rest of the second and third act, will shake you to the core and make you happy to be safe in your own home. It's not like anything I've seen portrayed in a film, outside of (maybe) Ti West's 'The Sacrament'. Even that film has a bit more redeeming qualities to it, if that's possible. This film shows the true heart of darkness and his name is Simon.

As fellow Creeps, you all know that I stray away from giving out too many details in my review. I'm a firm believer that experiencing what the writer and director have crafted is the only way to see a horror film. Too much information can kill an effective story and take away the gut punch contained within its run time. 'Children of Sorry' is a prime example of that. If I had gone into this film, knowing all I know now, it would have lost something. I was able, instead, to live out the moments that the naive main characters were forced to endure. It was unpleasant and off putting, but incredibly well done and something I won't soon forget. Once again proving that Bill Oberst Jr is an under utilized talent. Despite his lack of traditional Hollywood leading man qualities, he oozes charisma and swagger. He embodies each character that he portrays and never turns in less than a 110% performance. In this movie, he's surrounded on all sides, by fellow actors and actresses that jump feet first into the story and provide him with a solid base in which to move and breathe.


What more can I say about 'Children of Sorrow' other than, see it. Avoid all spoilers and just watch the movie unaware of any more than I've provided you in this review. It's a film that slid by under the radar and might be that weird little addition to your horror lexicon that you can introduce to your friends. All the while, hiding a sly little grin, letting them know that they're in for something special. I feel that this deserves a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Granted, it's not for everyone and could be difficult for some people to watch. Not that it's insanely gory, although it's pretty bloody, but that it's more psychological. Many of the most horrific death scenes are played out in short bursts of a few frames here and there. Some is more implied than shown and some are blatantly graphic. All of which, keeps you off balance and wondering what you may or may not see next. In the end, what are Simon's true intentions and what will happen after the credits have ended? You'll have to watch to find out. I only hope that this isn't a recruitment for Bill's personal fan club. If so, I could understand why people are dying to get in.



If you like this film, check out: 'The Sacrament', 'Red State' and 'Jug Face'

Now available on Amazon!


No comments:

Post a Comment