Popular Posts

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Horror TV Spotlight: my thoughts on.... 'Santa Clarita Diet'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

Ever since the advent of Netflix and other streaming services, I've never been one to be a binge watcher. I prefer to savor my shows, just like a good meal. Knowing full well that all good things will come to an end, at some point. People seem to be confused by my desire and ability to take things slowly, but once you've rushed through something, you can't just make the next season appear right away. Why put yourself through several hours of pure enjoyment, only to be let down at the end? I've also, in the past couple of years, kind of become 'turned off' to anything episodic on television or otherwise. I've become a full time film watcher and even though I enjoy a lot of things on TV and streaming services right now, I have a hard time getting into the same formulaic mold of ongoing series. It seems kind of backwards to feel that way, considering my love of franchises and long running shows like 'Doctor Who'.... but here we are. However, I found myself home sick on Monday and have been intrigued by a new series that everyone kept recommending to me, saying it was “My kind of show!”. So, having nothing else to do, but lay on the couch, I started watching the first episode of 'Santa Clarita Diet'. That was the best thing and the worst thing I've done in a long time. Why? Because I binge watched the entire series in one day and am now longing for season 2!


Without giving away any major plot points, as this is a brand new series on Netflix, I'll try and rough out the basic story line for you. 'Santa Clarita Diet' tells the story of two real estate agents, Joel and Shelia Hammond, played by the amazing Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore (both 'Scream' alumni). They live a VERY normal and hum drum life, complete with a teenage daughter, played by Liv Hewson and two neighboring families on either side. One sheriff and one police officer, complete with wives and kids in tow. We quickly get a sense of how mediocre and hum drum their lives are, before something strange happens at one of the Hammonds open houses. Shelia begins vomiting and ungodly amount and that's where the show really begins. From that point forward, no ones life will ever be the same again, as things spiral out of control in the best and worst way possible. That's really all I can say, without ruining what could be one of the most surprising horror/comedy hits since 'Ash vs Evil Dead'.

There is so much to love about this show. It's not only for horror fans, but it also has something for the gore hounds, normal folk and everyone in between. It takes the modern day sitcom and turns it upside down. All the while, sending a positive message about what it means to be a family and how you can't judge a book by it's cover. No matter what that cover depicts. Not unlike the show itself, this is not anything like you be be expecting. I went into it not knowing anything more than the title of the show and that it was, apparently, created just for me. Complete with a main character with my same first name. Over the course of the season, things do tend to get a little bogged down with the old school cliches that are bound to happen with an ongoing series. This is partially the reason why I kind of stopped watching regular TV. Because, at some point, all shows have to follow a certain pattern, in order to keep the show moving forward. It's not a bad thing. It's just one of the pitfalls of creating something that doesn't wrap itself up in an hour and a half run time. Regardless of that, the show has laugh out loud moments, revelations that are unexpected and very heartfelt exchanges between the main characters. Created by Victor Fresco, the man behind 'Better Off Ted', he's get a wry sense of storytelling and humor that works well within Netflix's free form format. If you have a day to sit and binge watch or a week to take it in stride, 'Santa Clarita Diet' is well worth your time.


By the time the final episode was coming to a close, I was hooked. It left the viewer with an open ended invite to come back for season 2, to find out what happens with our hapless real estate agents. Each episode runs approximately a half an hour in length and can be viewed in one sitting, with very little effort. While, I don't recommend watching it the way I did, (Yes, I'm still anti-binge watching) I still recommend watching it as soon as you can. Don't let the internet and water cooler conversations ruin the surprise for you. Stay away from the trailer and just jump in, feet first. 'Santa Clarita Diet' earns a very hearty 4 out of 5 stars and a near pitch perfect start to, what I hope, is at least a 3 season run. Check it out now! Available to stream on Netflix exclusively.



If you like what you see, check out: 'Ash vs Evil Dead', 'Cabin in the Woods' and 'Tucker and Dale vs Evil'

No comments:

Post a Comment