Popular Posts

Friday, February 24, 2017

my thoughts on.... 'Lumberjack Man'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

Every once in a while, you come across a movie that makes you wonder if the film makers were making it just for you. This was exactly what happened tonight, when I had the pleasure of seeing Josh Bear's 'Lumberjack Man'. Within the first ten minutes, I knew exactly what kind of film this was going to be and that I was already in love with it. From the opening credit sequence, showing the killer preparing for his reign of terror and questionably ending with him making some pancakes, you could tell that this wasn't going to be your run of the mill camp hack and slash kind of outing. Being a bit of a jaded horror film fan, at this point, I've practically seen it all. When something comes along that catches me off guard and makes me giggle like a school girl, I know that it's going to be something special. It takes a lot these days, to scare me or make me flinch and even more to make me audibly laugh out loud. Although, 'Lumberjack Man' was neither very scary or cringe worthy, it was incredibly funny and full of some genuinely horrific moments. Feeling like the love child of Lloyd Kaufman and Sean S. Cunningham, you could instantly tell what the film makers had grown up watching, as kids. I could easily imagine them sitting around the TV with their friends, hoping that mom wouldn't come downstairs and catch them watching something they weren't supposed to be seeing. Just like I did, when I was a youth. Except that I ended up writing about those films, as an adult, and not making them instead.


'Lumberjack Man' is a story about revenge. At it's very core, it's a story about a simple man who was taken advantage of. Because of this wrong doing, he's seemingly cursed to come back every 30 years, to wreak havoc on anyone that happens to be in his path. The film opens, at the beginning of another murderous anniversary. As the Lumberjack Man has come back, yet again, to slice and dice his way through the unsuspecting camp full of Christians. (not that he's the religious type, they're just victims of circumstance) We see a bus load of camp on their way to camp, complete with all of the expected stereotypes. Meanwhile, we also meet Dr. Peter Shirtcliff (played by Michael Madsen), who's headed the same direction, but for a very different reason. He knows about the Lumberjack Man and is hell bent on stopping him.... or at least getting all of the camp counselors out of harms way. But of course, every one thinks he's crazy and doesn't want to heed his warnings. Not long after everyone arrives at the camp ground, does the murder and mayhem begin. One by one, each of the staff is cermoniously dispatched by the backwoods butcher. Before long, it becomes clear to everyone that maybe their lives are in danger. Sadly, it's too late to escape the wrath of the Lumberjack Man, except for a small rag tag group of people willing to fight back. Will they survive the night? And will there be breakfast in the morning?

Co-written and directed by Josh Bear, this movie is everything I want a horror comedy to be. A great villain, over the top kills, main characters that you want root for (either to survive OR get killed) and a touch of absurdity to make it stick out. Sure, it's got some flaws here and there. I mean, how realistic can you make a giant stack of pancakes? It's also got one of silliest premises I've seen a film of this kind, but that's what balances out the whole mixture. Plus, if you've ever wanted to see Michael Madsen be funny, then this is the movie for you. Not too mention that item on my bucket list that I never knew existed.... seeing Micheal Madsen get out of a tiny car. Check. Now, 'Lumberjack Man' isn't all fun and games. There are some genuine moments of brilliance. For example, the ax throwing scene, is pretty amazing and I'm still not entirely sure how it was pulled off. Or the scene where the boy is pulled back inside the mess hall and the garage door slowly closes. That's the kind of stuff, straight up horror is lacking in. There was also a big question mark on what the purpose of the glowing red eyes, behind the mask, was. I soon found out, during the part when the lights go out and then again at the end. It's a very original twist on the theme of a faceless killer and one I've never seen done before.


I can't say enough good things about this film and I recommend that anyone with a taste for the bizarre, should check this one out. There are so many little jokes sprinkled throughout the run time, that it begs for repeated viewings, to catch all of them. My only regret is that I can't watch it again with fresh eyes. (also, why is this not on Blu-ray?) At this point, I've already talked this movie up so much, that I can only hope that it will live up to the hype, if/and when you take the time to enjoy this little slice of horror heaven. Perhaps, in this case, the people that are always telling me about films that were 'made for me' are right. It's like someone crawled inside of my head and pulled out all the stuff that makes me laugh like an idiot. 'Lumberjack Man' is a full on 4 out of 5 star powerhouse, that deserves a larger audience. Maybe not everyone will get it and I'm sure that quite a few will be offended at the jokes made about Christianity, but life is full of too much political correctness as it is. It's time to step back and laugh at ourselves. There's not enough humor in the world today. So kudos to everyone involved in the production and I'm very much looking forward to what comes spewing forth from their collective brains in the future. Until then, I've got this little gem to tide me over. Now where's my syrup?



If you like this film, be sure to also check out: 'The Final Girls', 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead' and 'Thankskilling'

No comments:

Post a Comment