Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

My #4 pick for best Horror films of 2016 By William S. Mayfield


I went into this, not with the best intention. It came from an internet gimmick, so it had that going against it and to be honest it freaked me out. But my daughter bugged me till I caved and watched it one day. I was generally surprised.


The movie starts off just like the small vine video it came from. A woman in a dark setting turns off a light and in the background we can see the out line a humanoid form. The woman quickly turns the light back on and this thing disappears. Now in the original its in a house, but this is in a warehouse and she quickly tells her boss, who is played by Billy Burke. He goes to investigate and is at the mercy of what I call "the reason I don't like to get up at night and have to pee". Let's move our story a little forward and we are introduced to Rebecca, played by the lovely Teresa Palmer of Warm Bodies and I am Number Four fame. She is the daughter of Billy Burke's character, Paul. She is living alone and it is very apparent that she likes it that way. We are introduced to her little brother Martin, played by Gaberial Bateman, when he seeks out his sister because of the things happening at his house where he lives with his mom, Maria Bello. After the death of the dad, which gets breezed over if you ask me, things start to get very weird and dangerous at home. Rebecca confronts her mom over the safety of the little brother. I have to say this movie really surprised me. Now the boyfriend is played by Alexander DiPersia and is kind of guy that really wants the girl for one thing in one scene and then wants to be the night in shinning in armor. Now the whole movie does revolve around the creature, and it is a really nasty one. Lights Out uses some top notch effects to make this thing come to life. I'm serious that just writing this, I am kinda looking over my shoulder just thinking of the creature. The story is well written and has a very likable cast. To me this story wraps up nice and ends on a good note. No sequel is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment