Popular Posts

Sunday, March 4, 2018

my thoughts on.... 'The Terrible Two'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

We watch all kinds of horror films here. We'll never shy away from them, big budget or no budget. If someone has a story to tell, we'll give them a shot. Sometimes they're winners and sometimes not so much. In the case of 'The Terrible Two', it was hard to tell at first. Initially, I was hopeful. The direction was fairly well done and the cinematography was strong. It felt like it had the potential to be something pretty scary. However, over the course of its running time, it fell apart. I can't pinpoint the exact moment that it happened, but it never recovered. I think what bothered me the most, is that there was so much potential there. I mean, it wasn't the most original story ever told. We've seen the haunted house/possession thing done before, so it's hard to find a new way to re-tell that story. That doesn't mean it can't still be something entertaining and worth watching. But there were no ghosts, no real danger, no blood (or very little until the end) and it just felt like a Lifetime movie of the week.


Let's take a moment to break down the plot a bit. The story starts out with our young couple, expecting a new baby any day now, looking at buying a home. It seems perfect and they decide to buy it. Fast forward a year and both of their kids are dead. Some kind of accident has taken them away and the couple is trying to rebuild their lives. The man is focused on work and trying to get back on track, but the woman is slipping deeper into sadness and depression. She can't seem to get over the loss. Soon, she's hearing their voices, making birthday cakes for them and staying home from work every day. It begins to put a strain on their marriage. It's also not clear if what she's hearing and dealing with it real or just her mind playing tricks on her. After a while, it becomes clear that there is something sinister in the house, when she finds a manuscript talking about a creature called Legion. Then the man begins to remember what happened to the girls, that they fell off the roof and broke their necks. Not thinking it was his fault, but that it was just a tragedy. Then, eventually, all hell breaks loose and the girls begin to manifest themselves. Before long, we realize that Legion is behind everything. That he is the reason the girls died and they've come back to take the woman. Some other things happen and are revealed and the movie ends with a new family about to buy the house, only to begin the cycle again.

One of the things that confused me the most about this film is this: Was this a Christian film made by some mega church or something? I mean, everyone knows about the infamous 'Blood Freak' horror film. That one came out in 1972 and is notorious for being terrible, but also for it's Christian roots. This one seemed to be steeped in that message, but was confused about how to convey it. When there was no blood or actual horror in the beginning, I thought maybe it was because it was ghost type story. As the film went on and they kept talking about Legion and quoting the bible and even praying, it seemed to make more sense. Then, at the end, when there was blood and stabbing and what not, I had to re-think everything. I even did some research and couldn't find anything that pointed a finger in any one direction. So, if it's not a Christian horror film that is trying to keep people from hanging out with Legion, then I'd be surprised. Aside from all of that, it just wasn't very well done. The main villains weren't threatening and the CGI effects for Legion were.... questionable at best. I really did want this to be good. The poster sold me on the contents that lay inside. It ended up being like a bag of chips, there were some chips inside, but most of it was just air.


I give a lot of credit to the film makers, for writing something they were proud of and to find the people to put it all together and get it out there. It's something I've never done. I can't say that I'm burning to tell any stories, but I have the utmost respect for those who do. Art is a scary thing. Putting yourself out there in the hopes that others will like what you have to say. Meanwhile, my job as a reviewer, is to look at the final product and put it into perspective. Considering my years as a film goer, former film student and lover of the horror genre. Granted, I consider myself a little jaded, but never closed minded to new things. I love to see what the world has to offer and am constantly being surprised by the quality of films being made these days. I hope that Billy Lewis takes the feedback he receives from myself and others and uses it to make his next film even better and I'll be the first one in line to see what's next. Sadly, for 'The Terrible Two', it's a 1 out of 5 star film. There just wasn't enough there to make it worth a repeat viewing and I feel like it wasn't something I can really recommend. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe you'll love it. Give it a chance, because we all come from different backgrounds and perhaps you'll find something in it that I missed. I will say this, it did teach me a valuable lesson. Never buy a home without doing a little bit of research first. You never know what you'll get and nobody wants to end up in a bad movie.



If you want to see something like this, but that I enjoyed more: 'Paranormal Activity', 'Rosemary's Baby' (1968) or 'Poltergeist'

"The Terrible Two" on VOD March 6

No comments:

Post a Comment