Popular Posts

Thursday, October 13, 2016

my thoughts on.... 'Jack Goes Home'



As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

I literally have no idea where to begin with this review. When 'Jack Goes Home' ended, I turned off the TV and asked myself, “What in the heck did I just watch?” It was difficult to discern the different bits that were tangled up in the larger masses of confusion and questions. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but not a typical movie going experience. There were so many things going in during the run time of the film, but at the same time, it was a fairly simple and straight forward tale. What sets it apart from similar themed outings like this, was the way that it was told. Not unlike the morality tales of old or the twisted fables of the Brother's Grimm, 'Jack Goes Home' took something very literal and made it into something absurd. The next thing I thought to myself after I'd turned off the television was, “What can I write about this film, without giving away the major beats of the plot or ruining what it set out to do?” I still don't know if I have an answer just yet, for that. It's been two days since I finished this and I'm still waiting on all of my thoughts and opinions to settle down, so I can formulate an actual review. This is THAT kind of film and they don't come along too often.


Written and directed by Thomas Dekker, this is his second feature film. I'm primarily familiar with Mr. Dekkar for his roles as in actor in such films as, 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' (2010) or the 'Laid to Rest' franchise. He's a very recognizable face and not one I would normally associate with working behind the lens. He proves, with 'Jack Goes Home', that he has skills as a writer and director and has some interesting things to come, I'm sure. The film itself, is very well paced, put together and unique. Starring Britt Robertson ('Tomorrowland') as Cleo, Natasha Lyonne ('American Pie') as Nancy, Nikki Reed (the 'Twilight' films) as Crystal, Daveigh Chase ('The Ring') as Shanda, Lin Shaye (the 'Insidious' franchise) as Teresa and Rory Culkin ('Mean Creek') as Jack. A really solid cast, that all put in 110% of themselves into telling this story as realistically as possible.

'Jack Goes Home' tells the story of a man who finally seems to have his life together. A good job, his own place, a fiancee that is soon to give birth to his first child and a best friend that's like the sister he never had. That is, until it all comes crashing down with a phone call. Jack's mother and father are driving home one evening, when they get into an auto accident. This event decapitates his father, but his mother survives the horrific scene. Upon hearing the news, Jack promptly heads home to be there for the funeral and to be a support system for his mother, Teresa. Along the way, we learn that Jack has issues with sleepwalking. Something that he hasn't had to deal with since he was a child, but this results in him talking about the attic in his childhood home. How HE was in the attic. At first he doesn't fully understand the meaning of this, but things continue to point him towards the inevitable. The decision to find out what's lurking above the bedroom he used to sleep in. Once at home, he finds his mother is in shambles. While working to get her through her grief, he finds a tape that has his name on it. Contained on the tape is the voice of his father talking to him as a child. At the end of the tape is a cryptic message to him about the attic. His mother seems determined to keep him form investigating what's up there, but all the things in his life keep pushing him closer to finding out the secrets contained upstairs. At this point, things start to go a bit off the rails and as in other reviews of new releases, I will stay away from any further spoilers. 'Jack Goes Home' is the kind of film you need to experience, rather than be told what my experience was with it. It's very much something that lends itself to different interpretations.


Thomas Dekkar has created something here that lends itself to very intense scrutiny. I have my own theories on what he was going for with 'Jack Goes Home', but only the film maker knows for sure what the intentions were, behind making it. This is not an easy film to watch and not one that's for the casual viewer to just put on in the background and not pay attention. To me, it feels like the viewer is being put through the various stages of grief. Almost as though, they're being laid out in front of us in literal terms, but it could also be seen as a slow descent into madness. Seen from the perspective of a man who's life is radically altered by the death of his father, he slowly unravels as his past is flashing before his eyes. Not that Jack is destined to die in the end, not at all, but more in the sense of the death of his innocence. Everything he believed to be reality, may in the end, merely be what his mind had created to distort the true reality. Even as the credits began to roll, I couldn't tell you what actually happened in the film. There is so much to digest with 'Jack Goes Home', that it really requires repeat viewings. At the same time though, it's not an easy film to watch. It presents a lot of difficult themes that anyone who's grown up in a household like his, could relate too. Not a casual Saturday afternoon kind of movie going experience.

Rory Culkin turns in a stellar performance, as does the rest of the cast. They took a story that was not an easy one to tell and made it accessible to the viewer. I'd love to say that I enjoyed this film, but it's not that kind of movie. It's more of an experience. I think that Thomas Dekkar set out to make something all his own. On that level, I believe it succeeds. However, it's not without some glaring flaws. Primarily in the ambiguous ending and some of the more 'first year film student' plot points. At times, it feels like he's still trying to find his voice as a director, instead of as an actor. It doesn't detract from the movie as a whole, but it can be a bit distracting for the jaded film goer, such as myself. I was impressed with 'Jack Goes Home' and I expect to see some more interesting things yet to come from Mr. Dekkar. All in all, it's a solid 3 out of 5 star film that stakes a flag in his right to be a writer and director. There's no doubt that he's taken all of his time in front of the camera and absorbed all of the lessons he has learned. It's always interesting to see an actor transitioning to being a writer/director. They end up seeing the film making process from all sides and crate a more complete and cohesive final product. Perhaps the only piece of the entire film that had me scratching my head, more than anything, was that it was produced by Uwe Boll. Touche, Mr. Dekkar, touche.



If you like genre bending oddities, check out: anything in the David Lynch catalog.


 Momentum Pictures is proud to present JACK GOES HOME, the acclaimed new film from Thomas Dekker, in select theaters and On-Demand/Digital October 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment