Popular Posts

Saturday, December 3, 2016

'Hold the "Cell" Phone' My review of 'Cell' by William S Mayfield


I read this book years ago and I remember it being pretty good. Not earth shattering but for me to get all the way through a Stephen King book says something. Now put down the pitchforks, I didn't say the man can't write I'm just not a fan of his overall style. Now that being said let me get to my spoiler free review of Cell. Our story starts off as Clay Riddel (John Cusack) is returning home from what I gather was a business trip. He contacts his family and that's where all hell breaks loose. Doesn’t take long for the story to kick in to gear. As by the title of this you can gather that Cell phones play a part in this story. Clay is in a airport when this call goes out to any cell phone that is active and anyone that is unfortunate enough to answer one quickly goes what I can only describe as crazy violent. I know we have all heard from more than one person that cell phones are evil and destroying the very fabric of social interaction. And to that I say if it's a problem just put down the phone, but this is not my rant against old phone haters. Anyway early in the story Clay comes across Tom Mcourt played by the ever entertaining Samuel L.Jackson. As the duo starts to piece together what's going on they are joined by the third member of the group, Alice Maxwell played by the very lovely Isabelle Furhman. It's at this point the story takes on a different tone because she is much younger than Clay and Tom so they naturally view her as someone they need to protect especially with her history. And I also felt the same way as a viewer because I have two daughters and I can't help but put myself in this situation with these characters wondering what if this was me and my girls. They run to some more people here and there. One part at a boarding school I felt the director breezed past because the part in the novel was a bigger part of the story.


This movie is part end of the world part supernatural, but then again it is based on a Stephen King novel. There is some supernatural elements to it but from what I remember not as much as the book did. All in all it's a ok movie. The ending is well a little confusing. Now that its been a few days and I've had time to think the whole third act is very confusing. . I don't want to say to much about the plot because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who might want to watch it. I will say it's a new take on the zombie/infected genre and I kind of like it, I see where it could have gone but just kind of fizzled. I give it a 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment