Popular Posts

Sunday, September 23, 2018

my 'classic' thoughts on.... 'Thankskilling'


Dragging the depths of my old horror reviews, I thought they might need to see the light of day again. So, I bring you some of Joel's 'Classic' horror reviews....

Let me start by saying, this movie is AWESOME! I'll begin this review by telling you that I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. This film is so freaking fun and funny that I can't help but love it. It's on par with some of the best of the Troma movies. It's terrible, but in a terribly wonderful way. I mean, it's about a killer turkey, what's not to love? The turkey talks and has one liners out the butt. He swears like a sailor and this movie starts out crazy and just keeps going crazier from there. I mean, the start of the movie involves a pilgrim woman with her breasts hanging out, being chased by a killer turkey. He makes a lame joke and then proceeds to dispatch her. It's just so strange that it works. It's obvious that the turkey is a giant puppet. The film makers don't even try to hide it. The scenes are over the top and gross. Things that you would never even dream of happening.... happen in this film. Like a turkey fornicating or using shotgun or getting urinated on by a dog. Have I gotten your attention yet? If not, then this may not be the movie for you.


The basic premise is that a Native American shaman creates this turkey to avenge the wrongs that had happened to his people. Every 505 years, the turkey comes back to exact more revenge. It just so happens that on his most recent visit for murder, five kids are on Thanksgiving break and happen upon him. At that point, the demonic turkey is on the hung. He slowly tracks them down one by one (We, the viewer, have no idea how) and kills them off throwing out a one liner in triumph.

In my mind, I think the writer got really high and just had fun letting it all flow. There are no boundries and nothing is sacred. Just look at the poster for it and you'll understand. One of my favorite scenes involves the father of one of the kids, who also happens to be the sheriff. The turkey comes to his house with a pair of Groucho glasses on and the sheriff thinks he's one of his daughters friends. The sit down to have coffee and talk. It's a very bizarre scene where I kept asking myself, “Why is the sheriff not noticing that this is a giant, talking turkey?” I'll never know why. Then, the turkey kills the sheriff and makes a mask out of his face. He puts it on as a disguise, along with the sheriff's ten gallon hat. When the kids show up to find a book on how to possibly stop the murdering bird, they don't even notice that the turkey is already in the house posing as the girls father. Its' hilarious!


I cannot recommend this one enough. If you're a fan of bad movies that are so bad that they're good again, like a Troma film, then is a big winner for you. Stop reading this review and go spend an hour and six minutes to revel in the craziness. You'll thank me when you're done. End of story.

(NEW thoughts: I've seen this several more times since this review, as well as it's sequel. They are bat crap crazy and I love every second of them. While they may not be everyone's cup of tea, for the initiated.... they are like winning the golden ticket.)



This is nothing else quite like this film, except for maybe something out of the Lloyd Kaufman catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment