Popular Posts

Monday, January 14, 2019

joel.'s top 13 horror films of 2018.... #1


Every year, you never know what the horror genre is going to unleash upon the world. You have an unsuspecting audience, just waiting to have their deepest and darkest fears manipulated.... all in the comfort of an air conditioned theater or their home. Not every year has been full of winners, some have proven to be better than others, but 2018 has yielded some very interesting genre fare that is full of a little bit of everything under the sun. My fellow creeps, I've put together what I feel (in my humble opinion) to be the best of the best for this year. There were a few that were nudged out by only inches and that's not a bad thing. It just proves that there are more stories to tell and makes me dream about all the amazing scares yet to come. So, without further adieu, I give you my top 13 horror films of 2018! (based on release dates and not the years they were filmed.... although some may be in the last quarter of 2017.)

1) 'Halloween' (2018)


We're finally here! I hope the wait was worth it. My top film of 2018 is none other than David Gordon Green and Danny McBride's 'Halloween' (2018). This is another one that I've already written a full review for, so I won't go on and on again about how wonderful this film is. While it's not a perfect horror film, it still hit all the sweet spots that the franchise needed and breathed life into Michael Myers once again. Even though I'm a die hard fan of Rob Zombie's take on the series, those films had reached their conclusion. It was nice to see that two fans of the genre and franchise could pull a rabbit out of their hat and make something old, new again. It may have taken a complete erasing of the movies that came before it to make it happen, but I'm okay with that. Those films still exist and will still hold a soft spot in my heart, but this just means that there is a whole new timeline to follow. Unlike the messy 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' films, this one seems less all over the place. It's not trying to hold it all together anymore, but rather to forge a new path of destruction. This one is an example of team film making that puts together something that pays off on everything it promises. I, personally, would have tweaked a couple of minor things, but you'll never have every single part of a film exactly right.... but this is still worthy of my top spot and a film I will revisit often.



Suggested snack to eat while watching: Halloween candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment