Popular Posts

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Uber Spencer Reviews 'The Shining' (1980)


Introduction, who am I? Well I am glad you asked! I am a Uber Spencer, a 17 year old who was born and raised in the mid-west and have been a member of this wonderful Creepercast since mid to late 2013 and have loved every minute of it! I first came across Creepercast in 2012 when I listened to Episode 2 which was the Rob Zombie retrospective of House of 1000 Corpses, Devils Rejects and Halloween and H2. I loved the podcast from the beginning and it wasn't till after I sent in my first review which was Bad Kids go to Hell and sent in my 1st voice message that I started dwelling more into the podcast. So in closing please I cannot say this enough, read my reviews including...

THE SHINING!!


Ok ok ok!!! Finally I finished The Shining and here is my official review of the film!!

Plot: The Shining is a 1980 Psychological horror film directed by late director Stanley Kubrick and starring Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall and Danny Lloyd. It is based on a story by Stephan King (which I have read and love it and the film!!) Now the film follows Jack Torrance (Nicholson), his wife Wendy (Duvall) and their son Danny (Lloyd) as Jack gets a job as a caretaker of the mysterious Overlook Hotel. In the book Jack is portrayed as more as tragic hero and starts getting defeated but in the film he is portrayed as an insane person and I think Jack Nicholson portrays that perfectly!! The famous Here's Johnny scene and the hallway scene with the twins are my absolutely favorite parts of the film because I like the idea of having the camera follow Danny as he rides his tricycle through the hotel and that sudden stop and his face and the shot to the butchered twins is awesome! And the ending and I am not going to spoil it but the ending is awesome!! I actually did the Here's Johnny at my local Homeless shelter cause our youth group was helping for a week clean and paint ext. and my friends Ashlie, Angela and Hannah were coming around and there was a little hole and I places my head and said HERE'S JOHNNY! And boy did I scare Ashlie!! figured I'd put that in!



Positives: Growing up my mom never let me watch the film but whenever it was on TV I would watch it and the Here's Johnny scene was awesome to me!! I loved the camera angles in the film and the creepiness of some scene's such as when Danny and Wendy are walking and the camera pans towards Jack with that face just made the hair stand up on my neck. There are different elements that Stanly Kubrick put in the film that I loved for example the tricycle scene, the way he filmed the scenes such as the blood coming out of the elevator to the lady in the tub transiting from normal to disgusting looking. The ending when Jack is chasing Danny through the hedge maze made and always has made me cringe because I know SPOILER Jack isn't going to get him but its in that moments when you think he is but Danny overcomes odds and makes it out as Jack freezes to death in the maze. I remember first watching the film and that ending scene scared the crap out of me because the sick looking face on Jack is truly terrifying!!



Negatives: No negatives

Conclusion: If you love Stephen King books then you will love this film. Like I said I have read the book and I loved it and I just found out that there is a sequel called Doctor Sleep?!?! Buy this film or rent it and sit down in the pitch black and prepare to get the crap scared out of you!!



I give The Shining from 1980 a perfect 5/5 stabs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment