Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Knightriders and George A Romero by William S. Mayfield


There I was, a young teenager, wandering around the local video store. It was truly the little hole in the wall video store. Walking among the rows upon rows of box art, this one caught my eye. It was called 'Knightriders', and to this day I love that movie and that art. There was Ed Harris, sitting on a motorcycle wearing armor, as in a knight in shining armor. So, I couldn't rent this movie fast enough. I either ran or rode my beat up old Huffy back home and fired up the old VCR. I sat there in awe, just sucking in this story of a traveling renaissance festival that uses bikes instead of horses to joust. Now, after it was over, of course I noticed the name George Romero not only directed but also wrote this movie. I remember hearing his name, because you just don't be a nerd movie loner like me, in the 80’s, and not see 'Night of the Living Dead'. Well I went back to the store and rented 'Night of the Living Dead', I think I rented it that night and started down a very long path to where I am now, a fan of the genre. 'Knightriders' wasn't a horror movie, but it was connected to Romero and that was enough, and Tom Savini was also in it and he is a icon to himself. I think I have seen all of George Romero's movies, at least once, and some of them more than I can count. His love of the subject matter and his style has kept him busy for all these years. I even still own 'Knightriders' on VHS, not sure if it's the one I had rented back in the day, but it's on my shelf with honor.


George Romero was at a horror convention, in my area, a year or two ago. I wanted to go, but something came up and I either couldn't make it or maybe had to work. Either way, I really wanted to meet him in person and tell him thank you for all the entertainment and being one of the people that has inspired me to be creative, when I can. I'll never have that chance again, but I still have the memories of the first time I saw 'Knightriders' and seeing “Written and Directed by George Romero”. Thank you Mr. Romero, for all you have done for the genre over the years. Your films with be cherished and viewed for many more years, by countless more people. Rest easy good sir.



No comments:

Post a Comment