Popular Posts

Sunday, October 23, 2016

my very brief thoughts on.... 'The Gingerdead Man'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

In my college days, I spent a lot of misspent hours watching a lot of Full Moon feature films. Back then, it was done while sitting around with a bunch of guys on the dorm floor, late at night and watching a b-grade movie. It's fun. However, when you're 42 years old, alone and watching one of these features, it's not nearly the same experience. What's kind of ironic about it is that nothing has changed with any of these films, since 1994. Same pacing, same music, same horrible acting and scripts. I'm sad to say that I had the misfortune of sitting through 'The Gingerdead Man' tonight and I'm not even sure that if I had my dorm floor guys, if this would have been any more watchable.


It tells the story of a man, played by Gary Busey, who murders a family in a diner. 2 years later he's put to death, only to be resurrected by some blood mixed in with some gingerbread dough. From there, things get very boring, as he attempts to kill everyone that ends up in the bakery. He only succeeds with 3 of them and 1 of those 3 is only because he's possessed by The Gingerdead Man and shoved into an industrial oven. Shortly after he's burning alive, one of the main characters says, "There's nothing we could have done." Really? Nothing except shoving him into the oven? That's the quality of movie we're dealing with.

Charles Band hasn't grown as a film maker and it shows. 'The Gingerdead Man' could have just as easily have been made in 1994, as it was in 2005. It's not something I would ever recommend and I'm sorry to say that they made 3 additional sequels. I can barely even give it 1 out of 5 stars. Sadly, I don't even think Gary Busey knew what he was getting into, when he signed on to make this movie. Let alone, what in the hell was going on. Just watch the opening 7 minutes or so of the movie and you'll get the overall idea of how the entire movie will go. Pure and utter garbage.



If you want to see a better b-grade masterpiece, check out: 'Thankskilling', 'Poultrygeist' or any of the 'Toxic Avenger' films.

No comments:

Post a Comment