Popular Posts

Sunday, October 16, 2016

my thoughts on.... 'I Am Not A Serial Killer'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

How often do you see a film that makes you stop and wonder what in the heck is going on? Then, as your mind is reeling from the confusion, you realize how rare it is that you see a movie that is unlike anything you've ever seen before? It's a rarity in this day and age, to see something completely new. 'I Am Not A Serial Killer' turned out to be like nothing I've seen before. I went into the film with no idea what to expect, but with the name, I had a certain preconceived notion of what it might be about. However, before you decide to watch this movie, please stay away from any trailers, plot summaries or any other reviews but mine. I'm still not sure how I'm even going to write about it, without the use of any spoilers.


The film opens with a murder scene. We're quickly introduced to our protagonist, John. Now John is a little “off” and you get a clear sense of that from the very beginning. He works in a morgue with his mother. His sister is a police officer and his dad is non-existent. We soon learn that there is a serial killer on the loose, but what we're not sure of is if it's John or someone else? John is diagnosed as a sociopath, seems to have murderous tendencies, but somehow he still comes off as a nice guy. As more bodies begin to pile up, the pieces of the puzzle sort of start falling into place. At this point, I have to stop. For the remaining second and third acts of the film, you just need to watch how it unfolds. To give away any more than this, is to do a disservice to the film and the film maker.

Directed by Billy O'Brien, who is also known for the quite effective little film, 'Isolation'. Also, written by Mr. O'Brien, as well as Christopher Hyde and based on the novel 'I Am Not A Serial Killer' by Dan Wells. This one is hard to categorize into any one genre. It has horror/ thriller elements to it. It's also dabbling in the serial killer genre, but has some very romantic overtones to it. There's a few other things thrown in for good measure, but somehow it all ties together in the end and works wonderfully. Is it a perfect film? No. But what it lacks in perfection, it makes up for in overall originality and heart. John is a very interesting and well drawn out character, who lights up the screen. Played by Max Records, he brings some wonderful things to the table and plays off of Christopher Lloyd quite well. That alone, is worth the price of admission.


Of all the weird, offbeat movies you might come across, over the next few months, I would definitely recommend 'I Am Not A Serial Killer' to anyone who wants something unique. A solid 4 out of 5 star film, that only suffers from a few FX issues and a couple of loose ends that need tightening. It's also got some fairly gory scenes in the morgue, that if you've got a weak stomach.... may be a bit too much. Recommend for the adventurous types who are into the recent 'Deathwave' movement, but are just starting to get there feet wet. For all you know, maybe I am a serial killer?



If you like this kind of weirdness, check out: 'John Dies At The End', 'Spring' or 'Horns'.

No comments:

Post a Comment