Popular Posts

Friday, September 8, 2017

my thoughts on.... 'Death Note'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

Anime has been a, somewhat, tapped genre for film adaptations in the past. Recently, it seems to be the next well that will be dipped into for Hollywood to drain of film ideas. Of the films made to date, they tend to be intently scrutinized and commonly brushed off as “not as good as the original source material”. While I can't always argue that this isn't the case, sometimes you have to take the original and the adaptation and look at them as two separate things. Take James O'Barr's 'The Crow', as an example. While the film is a well made action film (minus some overused Hollywood tropes), it's not the same heartbreaking story that the original comic was. While the original 5 issue series, remains as one of my favorite comic series of all time, I can't just push the film aside as “not as good as the original”. It's something different and I can truly appreciate both. For my second Netflix new release review, I'm talking about the Adam Wingard version of 'Death Note'. A Japanese manga, turned anime, turned live action film, turned American live action film. A dark and twisted story that has taken on a life and mythos of its own. Beloved by countless fans and looked upon as something more than the sum of its original parts. The problem is, that when you have something that's this highly regarded, it's almost impossible to remake it without people hurling criticisms at it. 'Death Note' is no different.


Telling the tale of Light Turner (played by Nat Wolff), a high school student who comes into possession of the mythical 'Death Note'. A notebook, of sorts, that allows the caretaker to write down the name of someone and thus sentencing them to death in a manner that the owner chooses. Complete with a large set of rules, Light jumps in feet first into using it and soon becomes consumed by it's power. Along for the ride is a Shinigami named Ryuk. A death god and owner of the 'Death Note', voiced by Willem Dafoe, he oversees the use of the book and seems to know more than he's letting on. Light is soon joined by Mia Sutton (played by Margaret Qualley), who learns of the notebooks power and becomes Light's partner in crime. Determined to rid the world of criminals and a desire to be almost god like in his power, Light takes on the persona of “Kira”. Before long, his names is scrawled upon countless deaths across the globe and the world is divided on whether to praise him or fear him. The government is soon seeking the help of 'L'. A strange man who's been raised to be the greatest detective on the planet. Battling each other in a game of wits, things start to spiral out of control, as Light realizes he may not be as in control as he originally thought and is seeking a way to continue his work without interference. All the while, Ryuk is standing by, enjoying what's unfolding before him.

Admittedly, I hadn't seen or read any of the original source material, prior to watching 'Death Note'. For me, Adam Wingard's take on the story, was my first experience with this tale. I have to say, that I enjoyed this film. Adam has a unique voice and an incredible knack for telling a story that puts the viewer on high alert at all times. Through his use of editing, musical score and lighting, he creates a world that isn't quite reality, but isn't entirely fiction. I've yet to see any of his films that I haven't enjoyed on some level. He's a force to be reckoned with, not only in horror, but in anything that he takes on. The characters are all fairly well flushed out and the special effects are visually striking. He also creates some incredibly nasty death sequences, that are not for the squeamish. In his world, death is ugly, as it should be. Now, with all that being said, I took the time to start the original anime. As of the time I am writing this review, I'm 3 episodes into the original 37 episode run. I can already see some major differences in the story line. Light is a bit more maniacal and egocentric. Ryuk is a bit more involved in the goings on and the book seems to have more restrictions. There is also the fact that the first 100 kills, are all achieved by a heart attack. Which, according to the anime world rules, is how someone will die if no other specifics are written into the book That alone, changes the initial dynamic of the how the deaths play out in the story. 'L' is also a bit more reclusive and secretive, not too mention a bit smarter and quicker to pin him down. I can also see that there is and will be, a lot more in depth dissection of the motivations and moral repercussions of using the book. That is something you will always find, when you have a longer period of time, in which to tell a story.


Taking all of this into consideration, I still stand by my original statements and will say that I enjoyed Netflix's version of 'Death Note'. I can also say that I'm already enjoying the anime and can see why this story has taken on a life of its own. For such a simple premise, there is a lot going on. I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime plays out, over time. I would have gotten to this series eventually, but this film pushed me into that world, much sooner than anticipated. For that, I think people should take their hatred of the film and look at it as a positive. It may just be creating a whole new legion of fans, who may never have found the source material, without the American spin on things. I found 'Death Note' to be a 4 out of 5 star film in Mr. Wingard's ever growing filmography. It may not be perfect, but it has a lot more going for it then many of the other horror type films I've seen recently. At the end of the film, they left it open for a potential sequel. Which, I'm guessing, based on the anime, could be a reality.... if the film can overcome people's distaste for it. I'm hoping this is the case, because Ryuk deserves some more screen time, whether it's with Light or a new owner of the 'Death Note'. Only time will tell.



If you like Adam Wingard's work, be sure to check out some of his other films: 'The Guest', 'Blair Witch' and 'You're Next'

No comments:

Post a Comment