Popular Posts

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Uber Spencer Reviews Don't Breathe!

By Uber Spencer




Intro: Don't Breathe is a 2016 American horror thriller film directed by Fede Alvarez and written by Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues. The film stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette, Daniel Zovatto, and Stephen Lang. The film tells the story of 3 thieves, Rocky (levy), Money (Zovatto) and Alex (Minnette) as they get a job to rob a blind veteran for his settlement that he received when a rich girl hit his daughter and killed her. The idea of a movie like this is something we have seen before but nothing to this extent. Going into this movie, I was excited because I thought I was going to be the only one in the theater, alas I was wrong. Sitting through the movie previews which shown was the 9th life of Louis drax, before I wake and Blair Witch (which looks stupid).



Plot: going on what I said in the intro and following it up with this. This is a very claustrophobic film, The plot like I mentioned revolves around Rocky, Money and Alex, 3 thieves setting up a score to steal a blind man's settlement. Once they get in the house they think it's going to be something easy till the blind man wakes up and knows someone is in his house. (There will be a few spoilers I will try and not talk about but I'll put a spoiler warning beforehand so Jeff can edit it). Anywho, with the two left  (ain't gonna mention who but by the trailer you may figure it out, if you haven't seen any trailers for the film then that's why I am keeping it spoiler free) they are trapped in the blind man's house and uncover some twisted stuff about the veteran. SPOILER ALERT:  the young lady who killed his daughter is kept in the basement of his house and after the blind man kidnaps Rocky, he tells her that he inseminated the young girl to have his child.

Now I'm going on the fact that I didn't see the end of the movie mostly because I left near the end because I felt sick to my stomach. And no, horror movies don't affect me anymore.

Positives: I have seen 4 horror movies in theaters recently, unfriended (which sucked!), the forest  (which was decent), conjuring 2 (amazing) and don't breathe. One thing I can say about don't breathe is that it is probably one the best horror movies in recent times. Everything you hear about this movie, being the best modern horror movie in 20 years is a truthful statement and I feel like Fede Alvarez did an amazing job with this fresh and new story. The direction by Alvarez is superb, the acting by mostly Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Stephen Lang were top notch and I believe that don't breathe will be a classic horror movie in the near future. By all reports, people are saying the ending is the best twist ending and as I didn't see it, I can't speculate whether or not it's true. Don't Breathe is a film I will probably go see again and hopefully watch till the end.

Negatives: every film isn't perfect 'cough unfriended cough' 'cough nightmare 2 cough' but don't breath has its faults. For example I know the leads were terrified because there were dealing with a blind army veteran but in some sense, he is justified in what he did, if someone breaks into your home, you are able to protect it but that said, kidnapping 2 people who aren't armed and aren't a threat is kind of crossing the line even if they weren't able to get away with the money or not. Another thing I have a problem with is that Alex tells rocky that if he gets close to the alarm, he can hit the panic button and the cops will come and the blind man will be taken to jail for kidnapping while the 2 teens will get the money taken away, um no, they still broke into the house so they will be charged with theft and burglary. Another gripe I have with is that it's set in Detroit, of course it had to be Detroit right?????? No not really. There 50 states to choose from and they chose the one that is known for crime and murder. Why not set it in a state that isn't used to that kind of stuff? Give it a new flare.

Conclusion: Don't Breathe is and will be an American Classic  (think I mentioned that but hey its my review). I feel like that Don't breathe will be to our generation as the exorcist was to the 70's (whole different genre of horror but you get my point I hope). The film is one of the best horror movies I've seen in recent memory and one of the best films ever in my opinion. That said I will give Don't Breathe a 4.5/5 stabs.

I paid 5.50 for my ticket and I got my money's worth. Go see this in theaters while you have a chance. It is a perfect date movie even though I was alone!

Follow me on Twitter at  (@SMausling): https://twitter.com/SMausling?s=09
Also follow creepercast on Twitter (@creepercast): https://twitter.com/creepercast?s=09

No comments:

Post a Comment