Popular Posts

Saturday, October 13, 2018

My review of Halloween (1978) by William S. Slacker


I have to admit that when Halloween came out I was 8 years old and had no interest in horror films. The trailer for The Amityville Horror had the scene with the red eyes in the window and every time our neighbor backed out of his drive way the brake lights would reflect off the glass and provide an instant nightmare. Now flash forward 5 or 6 years we had moved and I was a teenager that now had a video store within walking distance. The rest is history. I watched every movie in that store, probably twice if not three times. Now one day I was cruising the isles and I saw this black and orange box staring out at me. Upon closer inspection I saw that the orange was a pumpkin and the name of this gem I had just uncovered was Halloween. I don't even think I read the back of the box but like most films back then I went with my gut and my love of the art work. So after viewing this I was of course amazed but also I wanted more, for I believe this was my first steps into the sub genre of slasher films. Halloween holds a lot of firsts for me. My first slasher film, my first Carpenter film, and my first Jamie Lee Curtis film.


Halloween is the story of Michael Myers, a young boy that one night either has a psychotic break or as some say his true evil came to life and murdered a young girl. He is only 8 at the time of the killing and then is thrown in a mental hospital for 15 years where he escapes and returns to the town of Haddenfield to finish what he started all those years ago. John Carpenter thought he was making just a horror film but what he did not know what he was unleashing a classic on the world. The very idea of someone like Myers is terrifying by itself. A man that is unstoppable, a force of nature but in human form. There has been many slasher films since and there will many more, but Halloween is my first and the best. I give Halloween 9 out of 10


Be sure to join us daily between October 13th and the 18th as we look back in retrospective of the Halloween franchise films that we have loved, or at least found entertaining, before they cease to exist following the release of the new Halloween II on October 19th.


No comments:

Post a Comment