Popular Posts

Thursday, October 19, 2017

my thoughts on.... 'Torso'


As with all of my reviews of films for The Creepercast, I fully recommend that you check each and every one of them out. I am one man and this is my opinion. I've seen plenty of movies that received reviews that were the complete opposite of how I saw the film. These writers, directors, producers and actors all put a lot of time and love into these projects. They deserve to be seen and appreciated for what they are. Everyone has a dream and I fully support the people that take the time to make theirs a reality. With that being said....

I've tried to enjoy Giallo films. I've tried on more than one occasion, but they just don't seem to appeal to me and I do not get the ongoing appeal of this style of Italian horror. For those unfamiliar with the term or the genre, Wikipedia defines it as: “In English-speaking countries, the term giallo often refers to the Italian film version of the genre, a particular style of Italian-produced murder mystery thriller-horror film that usually blends the atmosphere and suspense of thriller fiction with elements of horror fiction (such as slasher violence) and eroticism (similar to the French fantastique genre), and often involves a mysterious killer whose identity is not revealed until the final act of the film. The genre developed in the mid-to-late 1960s, peaked in popularity during the 1970s, and subsequently declined over the next few decades.” On paper, this seems like a no brainer, for those of you who know me and my tastes in horror. The problem is, that no matter how many times I try and no matter what films I watch, this just doesn't resonate with me. Not in any way, shape or form. It's kind of frustrating, because I know so many people adore this genre and there have been countless books, documentaries, etc made about it. I guess it just proves my point that there is something out there for everyone and that's what makes books, art, film, television, etc so great. Either way, last night I gave it one more college try, as I watched Sergio Martino's 'Torso'.


The story is simple enough. Someone is killing pretty coeds and the police only have one clue, that the killer is wearing a red and black scarf. The police seem to have no other real leads or suspects in the case and the killers body count keeps rising. A group of 4 women, in fear for their lives, take a trip up to a villa to get away from the danger. Little do they know, that they've been followed by the masked killer and he may make them his next victims.

Sounds like your standard 80's slasher fare, right? 'Torso' was made in 1973 and was the 5th film in Sergio Martino's Giallo cycle. Some consider it to be his best work in the genre, while others contend that it was his least successful. The biggest thing to realize about Giallo films, is that they contain a few very distinct elements. Beautiful women, slow and methodical pacing, gore and excellent cinematography. (See the earlier Wikipedia citation for additional standards in the genre) This film contains all of those elements, but it never seems to form into an enjoyable experience. It's less of a horror film and more of a who cares who done it? None of the characters are particularly likable and everything is so paper thin, that it feels like a late night Cinemax film.... made in the 70's. Don't get me wrong. I love 70's style film making. Slow burns are a wonderful thing, when there's some kind of payoff at the end or an overall lesson to be taught. The problem is, that 'Torso' never had that final moment at the end where I felt satisfied with all of the waiting and buildup. It just kind of ends.


I don't know if I'll take a trip back down the Giallo rabbit hole again. I've seen several, including the master work of the genre: 'Susperia'. The only film in this Italian hay day that I truly appreciate is Lucio Fulci's 'Zombi 2' and I don't even think it qualifies to be included in this review. I'd give 'Torso' a 2 out of 5 star rating. I know that this may garner some hate among fans of the genre, but it's just not for me and there's nothing wrong with that. To each their own. Maybe someday, I'll look back on all of this and realize that I was wrong, but until that day I'm done with Giallo films. I've done my research and put in the work. I'll leave these films for the die hard fans to enjoy and go back to my regularly scheduled programming.



If you like this film, check out some of it's contemporaries: 'Susperia', 'A Lizard in a Woman's Skin' and 'Deep Red'

No comments:

Post a Comment